[meteorite-list] Let's talk about meteorites

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:52:29 -0700

Sorry,, but I guess I was not clear. The only group of silicate-bearing
irons widely agreed to have come from an asteroid core is the IVA group.
This group has little silicate, mainly small grains of silica, which some
think may have been vapor deposited in the core. There are no collisions
involved in forming the IVA irons except the one or ones that shattered
their parent differentiated asteroid and liberated them. The other
silicated irons, i.e., the IAB, IIICD and IIE groups, may be from
chondritic, not-differentiated asteroids, that never experienced global
melting. These irons may have formed after an impact into the chondritic
surface of these bodies involving local melting and separation of the
metallic and silicate liquids because they were immiscible. The metal
liquid sank to the crater floor, incorporated some rapidly melted silicate
debris and cooled. This is a controversial model and not universally
accepted. Mesosiderites are differentiated rocks consisting of roughly half
metal and half silicate. The silicate is basically basalt and
orthopyroxenite, i.e., eucrite and diogenite material. The metal is similar
to that of the IIIAB iron meteorites (a differentiated iron group) and so is
most likely from the core of a differentiated (i.e., globally melted)
asteroid. My model from some years ago was that the iron core (plus
overlying mantle) of the projectile impacted the basaltic/orthopyroxenitic
surface of another (target) asteroid and formed the mesosiderites. The
large gabrroic clasts in many of the mesosiderites seem to have formed by
two or more episodes of impact melting, and grain settling. Their origin
appears rather different from that of the silicated irons.
Alan