[meteorite-list] The Skipper's Dad Co-Discovers a Comet!

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:19:23 EDT

>>While we're on the off topic of old movies, did anyone realize that Alan
Hale, the Skipper's (Alan Hale Jr.), dad, was the co-discoverer of the
most widely observed comet of the 20th Century?<<
I didn't know there was a connection. Back around 1992, 3 or 4, I observed
the Quadrantid meteor shower with Alan Hale in Descanso, CA.. There were
three of us...Bob Lunsford, Alan Hale and myself. Of course this was all
before he co discovered comet Hale/Bopp. He got bored with the meteor
observing and broke out one of his scopes and started looking at the stars and
whatever he could find. The Quadrantids was a good show that year. Later when
he co-discovered the comet, I thought it would get me an autographed photo
of the comet (I took the photo)...but it didn't. :O)
George Zay

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)