[meteorite-list] Tucson Gem & Mineral Show POI

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:17:16 -0700 (PDT)

As I mentioned a few days ago, I have created a POI (Point of Interest) file for users of GPS units that contains the locations of all 40+ shows in Tucson each February. It has been uploaded and is available on a website called POI Factory. It is an excellent website and nearly all of the POI files there are available for free. Additionally the forums there are excellent, the users friendly and help out with nearly every question within minutes. I highly recommend this site to anyone who uses a GPS receiver in their car.

Now to the file.

It can be found at:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/24678

Download it and install it on your GPS unit as you would any other poi file (search for instruction on the POI Factory website if you don't know how to do that yet).

Each of the shows are located in one of a few ways.

If it is a small show that has a slightly ambiguous location or address and I have not been to the show, I placed the poi in the middle of the street as close to the actual location as I could. (For meteorite shows, this isn't a issue. This is for shows like beads or folk art...)

For locations that are at hotels or resorts, I often made the poi at a common location near the center of the property, often the swimming pool.

At locations that have two or more shows but have a common parking area, like the Inn Suites, I placed the poi at a common location near the most used entrance or the parking area.

The only thing missing right now is the GemRide locations and parking lots, as these have not yet been finalized. I will add them in January once they become known.

One other location specifically of interest to the members of this list is Michael Blood's Meteorite Auction at the VFW Hall. I placed the poi for this location in the driveway of the hall to make it easier to find since the entrance to the building is hidden from view from Beverly Ave.

Members of this list may also be interested in another POI file I created some time ago called "Optical Valley - Tucson, Arizona"

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/17651

It contains pois for all professional telescopes at the four observatory sites around Tucson and includes information about each telescope. There are also locations in town and out fo town, like Flandrau, NOAO headquarters and various visitor centers. All the sites are now either open to the public (Kitt Peak) or provide public programs or tours [Mt. Lemmon Sky Center, Mt. Graham (LBT) & Mt. Hopkins (MMT)]

Remember, both of these files are meant to be used by a GPS receiver to direct you to the location you are looking for and not read on your computer or printed out. However, Google Earth will read these files, so you can locate and read the information for each site if you open these files in Google Earth.

If you don't have a GPSr for your car, just pick up the Show Guide that are available for free just about anywhere in town. If you haven't been to the Tucson Shows before, you should always grab a copy even if you do have a GPSr!

If you have any questions or have suggestions about locations for me to add, please contact me off list.

--
Richard Kowalski
http://fullmoonphotography.net