[meteorite-list] Bolide? Doggone?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 11:28:06 -0700 (PDT)

 --- On Tue, 9/1/09, Darryl Pitt <darryl at dof3.com> wrote:

> From: Darryl Pitt <darryl at dof3.com>
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Bolide?? Doggone?
> To: "Richard Kowalski" <damoclid at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Meteorite List" <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
> Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2009, 11:09 AM
>
> Hiya,
>
> If the description of the object's transit through the
sky
> is?
> accurate, I would have to disagree.

I would too, but it's an embellishment to make his story
interesting.

> (As the resolution of the camera is weak, and focus
> limited, a bolide?
> could readily blur into a sun dog-like appearance.)?
> /d

Nope, if that were true the entire image would show the
distortions.
If you look at the images on the wiki page, or google sun
dogs and click on images you'll see many examples that look
exactly like this one.
It is an *extremely* common phenomena...

Almost no one looks up any longer, so even the most common
phenomena are unknown to just about everyone. I highly
recommend _The Nature of Light and Colour in the Open Air_

http://tinyurl.com/no2ej9

It's a great book. I've witnessed nearly everything
contained within its pages.

Richard