[meteorite-list] Thomas Jefferson & Weston (Part 2)

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 01 Sep 2009 15:37:28 UT

BURKE J.G. (1986) Cosmic Debris - Meteorites in History, p. 57:

It was not until October 1805 that Ellicott received published material from France,
which convinced him that stones did fall, that they had an unusual composition and
texture, and that they were generated in the atmosphere. He advised Jefferson of his
conversion, and Jefferson responded on 25 October 1805. He wrote that he had not
seen the documents to which Ellicott referred, but that he had read Izam's Lithologie
atmosph?rique, which was "an industrious collection" of facts of the same kind:

"I do not say that I disbelieve the testimony but neither can I say I believe it. Chemistry
is too much in its infancy to satisfy us that the lapidific elements exist in the atmosphere
and that the process can be completed there. I do not know that this would be against
the laws of nature and therefore I do not say it is impossible; but as it is so much unlike
any operation of nature we have ever seen it requires testimony proportionately strong."

This passage indicates that Jefferson's skepticism was not about the fall of meteorites,
but about their generation in the atmosphere. It is in this light that we should attempt
to judge whether or not the remark so often attributed to him following the fall of the
Weston meteorite two years later is apocryphal - namely, "It is easier to believe that
two Yankee professors would lie than that stones would fall from heaven." In his
Discourse on Jefferson, Samuel Latham Mitchill reported that soon after the Weston
fall, he received an account and a specimen from friends.

A senator who was to dine with Jefferson that evening asked to borrow the report and
sample to show to the President and request his comments. When presented with the
evidence, Jefferson, according to Mitchill's friend, said that "it is all a lie." Later,
on 15 February 1808, in a reply to a letter from a citizen offering to send a fragment of
the Weston stone for an official examination by the Congress, Jefferson suggested that
the members of a scientific society would be better qualified to examine the stone,
"supposed meteoric," than those of the national legislature. He continued:

"We certainly are not to deny whatever we cannot account for. A thousand phenomena
present themselves daily which we cannot explain, but where facts are suggested, bearing
no analogy with the laws of nature as yet known to us, their verity needs proof proportioned
to their difficulty. A cautious mind will weigh the opposition of the phenomenon to everything
hitherto observed, the strength of the testimony by which it is supported, and the error and
misconceptions to which even our senses are liable. It may be very difficult to explain how
the stone you possess came into the position in which it was found. But is it easier to explain
how it got into the clouds from whence it is supposed to have fallen? The actual fact however
is the thing to be established."

The tenor and even the wording of this letter is quite similar as that in Jefferson's December 1803
reply to Ellicott. It is possible that, upon reflection, he dismissed the notion of the atmospheric
generation of stones and reverted to his original ambivalence about their fall. One other point
is relevant. At the time of the Weston fall, the New England states were in an uproar about the
economic effects of the Jeffersonian-sponsored Embargo Act of November 1806, and there was
even talk of secession. Jefferson was antagonistic to the New Englanders, because they sought to
circumvent the embargo by smuggling goods into Canada. It is therefore possible that soon after
the fall and before the American Philosophical Society in March 1808 heard Silliman's report and
accepted his memoir for publication, Jefferson, in a fit of temper, made the remark. But scholars
have not yet located the source, so that at this time it must remain conjectural.