[meteorite-list] Thomas Jefferson in 1807 commented thathe didn't believe the Weston Meteorite fell out of the sk

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 08:07:38 -0600

The quote is apparently anecdotal. Quite a few people have sought out its
source in Jefferson's writings, AFAIK without success. Jefferson did
acknowledge the existence of meteoritic material, and recommended its study
by American academics. Personally, I don't believe he ever made the
statement, simply because the structure of the comment doesn't ring true to
Jefferson's writing style.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory