[meteorite-list] Neutron freeing in large hypervelocity impacts

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:36:26 -0600

It is, I think, very obvious to anybody with a reasonable understanding of
physics that we lack a good mechanism to explain how an impact- especially a
small one- can produce a lot of neutrons. There are, of course, possible
(but untested) suggestions, so I'm willing to allow for the small
possibility.

The point of my argument was not based on whether such a mechanism exists,
however, but on whether you can use the C14 calibration record to test this.
There are two very serious problems in doing this. The first is that we
don't actually have any well dated significant impacts to compare with the
dates in the C14 record. The second is that we have a cause-and-effect
issue: any impact large enough to produce enough neutrons (by whatever
hypothetical mechanism) to affect the global C14 levels is also big enough
to tweak the climate, which will also affect global C14 levels. So there's
really no way to tell if an impact associated spike or dip in the C14 record
is caused by neutrons or by some other effect.

The only way I can think of to test the neutron hypothesis would be to
actually go out and look for isotopic anomalies in meteorite and geological
samples. The C14 calibration record just isn't going to cut it.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com