[meteorite-list] Issue with etching via ferric choride

From: R N Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 16:33:46 -0700

Hello McCartney (and all):

Yes, the etch happens very quickly and you need to terminate it by a quick
wash under running water. Follow with a rinse in distilled water if you
want to but we never do and it works fine. You don;t have to neutralize it,
just wash it off VERY FAST. In fact, I use running water to slow down the
process as I am doing it, especially if I need to etch one section of a
surface more. There is a bit of a technique - just practice and you will do
well. If yo are getting staining your washing is incomplete.

Ron Hartman