[meteorite-list] The Meteorite Wiki (ReCaptcha Added) Plus Licensing

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:50:42 -0700

Hello all,

Since last night I've received numerous emails thanking me for creating
the Meteorite Wiki, offers of help, and warning at the same time of some
unscrupulous fellows and spam-bots that would love to deface the wiki.

I've taken the advice and made some changes as well as increased the
security of the site against Spam-Bots by adding ReCaptcha, an anti-spam
registration verification system. Many of you are familiar with Captcha
when you sign up for membership on many popular websites. It requires
you to input a series of letters, words and/or numbers to verify you are
a human user and not an automated spam-bot!

Hopefully this system will at least cut down on the "bad links" and
discourage the people who would spam the site.

In addition, I've received a few emails regarding content contributions
and possible licensing ideas, especially for the republishing of
Wikipedia content relating to meteorites. To relieve all concerns
regarding content creation and credit to outside sources, we're working
hard on adding an attribution license that will fit this site and still
allow as many users to contribute content while still providing some
kind of commercial content protection. Personally I do not mind
contributed content to be used commercially, but for some, they may wish
to keep the content under an Attribution Share Alike license like
Wikipedia has.

Thoughts and ideas on this are welcome and will be considered at length.

Well guys, thanks for the input, keep it coming, and enjoy the site!

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA