[meteorite-list] Odessa

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:55:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all -

When I visited Odessa I was told that it was suspected to be the impact of a fragment related to the Barringer impactor. My suspicion is that the Barringer impact is seen in the spike of C14 in the INTCAL98 chart around 45,000 BCE. So what is OSL dating anyway, and how accurate is it?

When writing my book, I found no mention of the Barringer impact, but then for North America I was working with eastern materials. Also, the first crossing to the Americas seems to have occured about 45,000 BCE, but even this early date is hotly contested.

In closing, the Hopi, Navajo, and Zuni elders will share what they want to share from their traditions about later impacts when they want to share it.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas