[meteorite-list] Feedback: try this specific crater "R5" in Argentina: Darren Garrison: Rich Murray 2009.10.15

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:47:39 -0500

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 23:46:59 -0600, you wrote:

>Briefly, Carolina Bays (bays mean a particular type of tree in
>North and South Carolina) are in the range 0.1 to 20 km,
>probably ice or slushy comet fragment impacts at low
>velocity ( 5 km/sec )

5 km/sec is anything but low velocity. The fastest velocity listed on this
chart of military ammunitions is 4000 feet/sec (at 78 feet from the muzzle, but
initial velocity is probably not too far off from that) which is around 1.2
km/sec. 5 km/sec is 4 times faster than a speeding, armor piercing bullet. Any
object traveling anywhere close to 5 km/sec (wherther composed of rock, ice, or
pure crystallized aspartame) is going to make what is known in technical terms
as a "giant-ass" explosion, excavating a deep, round crater.

Here's an amazing bit of video that I've been itching for an excuse to post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg&feature=player_embedded