[meteorite-list] [?? Probable Spam] question on using a macro flash ring forphotgraphing meteorites

From: Glenn Skinner <lostbowyer_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:54:21 -0400

Hi Werner

I'll let you know how I make out if I decide to try a macro ring, they
say the macro ring works really well for forensics and dental work, to
capture the fine detail of an object in natural light. Only draw back
i've read is some of the cheaper units tend to over flash so you need
a camera that can compromise.

I do have a traditional light box with three lights, and on my "baby"
camera I have a copy board with 2600w of balanced lighting, but the
problem I run into is my camera is wide field fixed lens, to get a
good image, I need to be a couple of cm from the object, at that point
the lense tends to shade the whole object.

I do have a Celestron 44340 Digital Microscope, it works very well,
but the focus is very narrow, if viewing a thin section or a flat
slice it works great but give it a curvature and a lot of the image is
out of focus, if I could go a bit lower on the power it would be
better, but I can't

Glenn Skinner