[meteorite-list] Chondrule formation

From: Alan Rubin <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 08:51:12 -0700

The question was raised if chondrules occur in achondrites or moon rocks.
If you look back at papers from 1970 - 1972, there are reports of "lunar
chondrules" found in the first returned Apollo samples. These "chondrules,"
as nearly everyone acknowledges, are millimeter-size impact-melt spherules
produced after collisions of meteorites with the lunar surface. Some folks
think that chondrules in chondrites also formed this way, but most chondrule
researchers believe that chondrules were formed as isolated droplets in the
solar nebula. If this is correct, then after being melted, they would have
cooled quickly because there was little or no insulating material around
them. Only later would these chondrules accrete along with CAIs, matrix,
metal and sulfide assemblages, etc. to form planetesimals which later
accreted into larger bodies. If chondrules indeed formed as isolated
droplets in the nebula, then if the planetesimals into which they
subsequently accreted ever melted, then the chondrules would also melt and
the textural evidence for them would be forever erased.
Alan Rubin