[meteorite-list] meteoroid question

From: Pat Brown <scientificlifestyle_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:47:09 -0700

Hello Larry and the List,

This is an interesting and very commonly asked question that I have been asked in talks to school kids etc. I have tried to make it through Opik _Physics of Meteor Flight in the Atmosphere_. However, it is far too easy to get bogged down in the math.

OK, that said; this engineer's guess is

* An incoming velocity range of 15,000 to 25,000 gives an kinetic energy range of 2.8:1

* The entry angle could affect the time of incandescent flight as well. The ratio of 90 deg to almost zero deg could be a 2:1 ratio as well

* Even if we limit ourselves to Chondrites, and assumed a constant speed and entry angle, the range of internal strength of the material is an important part of the answer. I tell the kids that the range of strength of the stone meteorites ranges from almost dirt clod weak (e.g. Bjurbole, Tagish Lake) where the survival percentage is perhaps 99% of mass loss. At the other end is a strong ordinary chondrite without internal cracks and little or no shock that could be in the 50% mass loss range. As an average, I have been telling the kids that basketball in space equils softball size when it reaches the surface. [For our international friends a basket ball is 0.74 meters in circumference and a softball is 0.30 meters in circumference.]

Please do let us know what you get for answers from Rob Matson and the rest of the List.

Best Regards,
?????????? Pat Brown