[meteorite-list] Fwd: Re: CAI and chondrules

From: aerubin at ucla.edu <aerubin_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 13:18:57 -0700

Jeff brought up an important point on which that I would like to
elaborate. A few chondrules may sport a peculiar feature that may
have important constraints on how those few chondrules formed. The
problem is in generalizing. I may feel that those few chondrules are
a Rosetta Stone that have preserved important features that were
erased in the vast majority of chondrules because of secondary
processing. Another researcher may feel that these peculiar features
are just anomalies that have little bearing on the general problem.
There may be no objective way around this other than finding
additional examples or fitting the observations into a coherent model.
  Let me give a specific example. Sasha Krot and I reported that a
handful of chondrules have fine-grained matrix-like rims that are
loaded with microchondrules. No one disputes this observation. I
believe that these microchondrule-bearing objects are rare surviving
representatives of a general process relating to chondrule formation.
My inference is that, in many cases, after formaton, chondrules were
surrounded by dustballs and that some highly localized flash-melting
mechanism, perhaps akin to a lightning bolt, zapped the
chondrule-dustball assemblage and caused melting of the chondrule
surface (thereby forming droplets that solidified into
microchondrules). Other researchers are skeptical that the handful of
chondrules with microchondrule-rich rims have anything to say about
the general chondrule-forming process. My idea fits into my scenario
of how chondrule formation occurred. Those who favor the model in
which chondrules were produced in large-scale events involving gas
dynamic shock waves would tend to dismiss these microchondrule-bearing
chondrules as being a sideshow. Who is right? It depends on who you
ask!