[meteorite-list] Meteorite Magazine - Another great issue

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:33:31 -0500

Hi List,

I highly recommend that any collector who does not subscribe to
Meteorite Magazine, should immediately go subscribe - now! Stop
reading this message, open a new browser tab, and go to :

http://meteoritemag.uark.edu/

If you are missing out on this publication, then you are missing out
the best source of meteorite-related information for the layman.

This month's issue is a perfect example of why every collector should
read this magazine :

1) the heartfelt letter from Dorothy Norton and the shared experiences
of his many friends and admirers. This demonstrates the sense of
community in the meteorite world. I especially enjoyed the anecdotes
about Richard playing pranks on the unflappable Dr. Leonard.

2) the article about Gujba that sheds some light on this unusual
meteorite and the misconceptions about it. This demonstrates the
pursuit of science that many in the collecting world support - not
just collecting space rocks, but learning about them as well.

3) the excellent article by Anita Westlake on how to talk to the
public about meteorites. This should be required reading for those
who are considering their first steps into the world of meteorite
outreach.

4) The articles about tektites which clearly depict the various forms
these objects take and why they assume these forms. Ever wonder where
those odd little "C" shaped tektite pieces come from? They were
spalled off of larger masses still in a fluid state. This information
is available from other sources on the web and in print, but Meteorite
Magazine always finds a way to present an old topic with a new twist
or lesson. I've read dozens of papers and articles about tektites,
and I walked away from this month's issue with a few new insights I
didn't have before.

5) Thomas Grau's account of the Danish fall on Lolland is illustrative
of the confusion and hard work that immediately follows a promising
fireball report.

6) Thanks to Richard Kowalski - I got a peek inside the Apollo 11,
40th anniversary shindig at the University of Arizona. I wish I could
have been there, but this article is the next best thing. :)

7) Did I forget Roger and John's excellent chondrule photos in the
Centerpiece section? If a collector hasn't looked at a meteorite
sample under a microscope, then that collector is missing out on a
whole new world of enjoying space rocks.

8) I loved the photo of the frustrated searcher hugging a big rock, in
the article about the Ukrainian bolide. This is another example of
the hard work surrounding the hunt for meteorites.

The whims of the meteorite collector's market may not be predictable,
but one thing in the world of meteorites is for certain - that every
Meteorite subscriber will receive 4 quarterly issues packed with the
very best that meteorites have to offer. This is my second year as a
subscriber and I look forward to what year 3 holds! :)

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG