[meteorite-list] Saudi Arabian iron

From: Randy Korotev <korotev_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:11:50 -0600

I was contacted recently by a fellow who had this story:

"Attached are pictures of suspected meteorites, one larger [3+ lbs]
and the rest smaller pieces. My father ... found these at a site on
the Arabian Peninsula in the late 1940's. I believe they came from
the desert in the lower half of the country - Rub al Kahli. My
father was with ARAMCO, the Arabian American Oil Company, and was a
geodesist in the exploration department. In the late 60's, living in
Phoenix, AZ, my dad donated a mumber of these pieces to the Heard Museum."

He sent me three small pieces to examine that look like this
(millimeter ticks on ruler).

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/DSC_4185.jpg

I filed down a corner; they're definitely iron. I told him that in
the late 1940's the only meteorite known from Saudi Arabia was
Wabar, that it was big, and that if his father had pieces of an iron
meteorite, it was probably Wabar. I also mentioned what price etched
slices of Wabar sold for on e-bay.

Now, he wants to sell his pieces. If you want to talk with him, let
me know and I'll send his e-mail address.

Middle man making no profit, not even a sample to keep,
Randy Korotev

Randy Korotev
Saint Louis, MO
korotev at wustl.edu