[meteorite-list] What is or is not a chondrule?

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:37:23 -0800 (PST)

Hello Tom, excellent photo!
I believe this is one of those "heated-cooled-heated-quenched" cycled chondrules and the "crosses" are the seed/loci of crystallization: the "de-vitrification" of the glass matrix into ordered alignment of the molecules( aka crystallized solid). In other words, this is a frozen example one phase of the chondrule forming process. It is a body that lies between glass/dust and crystallized.

Were we able to watch this process in time lapse we would see the crosses grow in length and width until all the matrix was converted.

Elton