[meteorite-list] Meteor may have landed in Area 52

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:24:18 -0800

Not something new, but something that I find rather, well, perplexing...

Imagine the luck, or lack thereof for meteorite hunters and scientists,
of the largest fireball in the United States in years, (at least since
I've been into meteorites), most probably a decade, happening over one
of the worlds most secretive and secure military bases on the face of
the planet.

I mean come on, what are the chances?

Pretty good I would say... So is it there?

You decide...

By Michael McFall
News Editor: The Daily Utah Chronicle
Published: Friday, November 20, 2009
Updated: Saturday, November 21, 2009
http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/meteor-may-have-landed-in-area-52-1.2092650

Scientists have evidence that the massive meteor that turned the night
sky into day for two seconds Wednesday night might have exploded in the
atmosphere above the reputed Area 52?an extremely dangerous, mysterious
patch of Utah desert.

Patrick Wiggins, NASA Ambassador to Utah and Robert Matson, senior
scientist for Applied Science International, believe the cosmic rock
blew up as it burned through the atmosphere above Tooele County, based
on interpretations of recorded seismic activity information and the
meteor?s perceived trajectory. The meteor pieces would?ve landed within
a mile of where the meteor exploded -- but unfortunately, that means
they would have landed in the Dugway Proving Ground?an area of the
western Utah desert, bigger than Rhode Island, where the U.S. Army tests
chemical, biological and radioactive warfare, an area that is rumored to
be the new Area 51.

?It?s a restricted area,? Wiggins said. ?I seriously doubt anyone can go
out there.?

The U.S. Army tested thousands of bombs in the gigantic military
reservation, according to the U.S. General Accounting Office. But the
area is more colloquially known as Area 52 for all of the reported UFO
sightings. Rumors circulate that the Dugway Proving Grounds is where the
U.S. Government transferred all of the Area 51 alien research after
public scrutiny drew too much attention.

No military personnel have found a meteor shard, said Dugway Proving
Ground spokesman Al Vogel.

Wiggins said he heard a local Utah man is trying to get permission from
the military to take an expedition out into the desert to find what?s
left of the meteor, likely a straggler from the Leonid meteor shower
that the Earth was passing.

?I had one gentleman call me about an hour ago,? Vogel said. ?He works
for the advertising agency as the Clark Planetarium as a client. He has
friends who want to go meteor hunting.?

Vogel is strongly discouraging anyone from venturing into ?Area 52?
looking for the meteor. It?s an enormous remote desert with no cell
phone reception, no military patrol passing any given area for more than
a week, where they still regularly test weapons. There are even areas of
the desert too dangerous even for approved military personnel to travel
through, Vogel said.

Relu Burlacu, seismograph network manager, said there?s nothing to
suggest where the meteor pieces might have landed, based on the U?s
seismograph station?s recorded activity from Wednesday?s early-morning
hours.

Vogel also denied that Dugway Proving Ground houses any alien
technology, but acknowledged the reputation the military facility has
garnered is entertaining to some of its employees.

Enjoy...

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA