[meteorite-list] GPS & Photographing Meteorites in the field

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:57:09 -0800 (PST)

Some months ago I went on my first meteorite hunt and hope to try my hand at it again in the not too distant future.

On my first hunting trip I used my automotive unit, since it easily fit into my pocket. My other GPS is an aviation unit and is much larger and heavier. Obviously neither is optimal for hunting or hiking.

I'm looking at hiking GPSr units that have a camera built in, specifically the Garmin Oregon 550. This unit automatically tags the all the images made with it with the longitude & latitude where the image was made.

Most of the images of new discoveries I've seen show a "blacked out" GPS next to the stone.

I'm just curious if any of you active hunters are using geo-tagging GPS cameras or if there is a specific reason not to use one. Its easy enough to strip out the coordinates embedded in the image file if you don't want to leave this in any distributed copies of the image, so that isn't a reason not to use one.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski