[meteorite-list] Cleaning meteorites

From: Eric Christensen <christenjames_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:13:12 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I recently had the good fortune to find a few new meteorites, and would like to clean them. Nothing drastic: just enough to remove the dirt, dust and salt deposits so my hands don't end up filthy every time I pick one up. Do I need to take any special precautions? Does cleaning affect the value (as with antique furniture)? I was thinking to gently scrub them using a toothbrush and water, then slow-drying in a warm oven. Does this sound about right?

The meteorites all appear to be chondrites, weathered to various degrees. Most are pretty solid but a few have some cracks.

Thanks,

Eric