[meteorite-list] Ablation Zone 5 Layers...Not

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 10:25:20 -0800

Al,
Perhaps you should have read my last message a little more thoroughly as well.
I went out of my way to clarify. I even said the following:

"Not a single person on this list is saying
that all iron meteorites have fusion crusts, just as not a single
person on this list has ever said that all stony meteorites have
fusion crusts.
My point of view is that generally speaking, when an iron meteorite
falls, it is covered by what is deemed a fusion crust (barring
extenuating circumstances like an explosive impact [eg. Sikhote
shrapnel], or extremely late atmospheric fragmentation). Just as most
stony meteorite exhibit a fusion crust as well (barring an explosive
impact [eg. Carancas], etc, etc)."

I further stated that:

"Well yeah. Rust isn't fusion crust, but I might as well ask you if
you think that taking an acetylene torch to a stony meteorite and
melting its surface would create a fusion crust. The key, I think you
would agree, is in its method of formation...."

So, no, I don't believe that all iron meteorites are covered by fusion
crust. Just the fresh ones, assuming they're not the product of an
explosive impact, late fragmentation, etc.

Do you disagree?

Jason

What Elton is suggesting is that