[meteorite-list] Fusion Crust on Irons--Not

From: debfred at att.net <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:20:07 +0000

  Carl, I need some help here. Which one of these elements or minerals is in the silicate group?
Sikhote-Alin is a coarse iron octahedrite. Its composition is as follows: 5.9% nickel, 0.42 % cobalt, 0.46% phosphorus, 0.28% sulfur, smaller amounts of germanium and iridium, and the remainder (approximately 93%) is iron. The following minerals are present: taenite, plessite, rhabites, troilite, chromite, kamacite, and schreibersite crystals. ...
Regards, Fred
From: <cdtucson at cox.net>

If I'm not mistaken. The crust shown on Sikhotes may well be a true fusion crust
> because sikhote does contain some silicate minerals within it.
It is the irons without silicates that cannot produce a true fusion crust. And
as Elton said, Nobody has ever shown one of these non-silicate irons with fusion
crust. In fact the two examples shown are the only examples I have ever seen of
any type of iron meteorite with fusion crust, not counting true silicated irons
> of course.
Does anyone have other pictures of any irons with fusion crusts to share? Thanks
> Carl
> --
> Carl or Debbie Esparza
> Meteoritemax
>

> ---- ensoramanda at ntlworld.com wrote:
> > Hi Elton,
> >
> I think it is that thin coating of magnetite that most folks are calling a
> fusion crust on fresh irons...what else can it be called?
> >
> As you say, unfortunately it is quite fragile and on most irons it flakes or
comes off after very little time in our climate, so most of those wonderful