[meteorite-list] Photo of a K-chondrite / Could this be one of the rarest meteorites found?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:32:35 -0800

Hello Sonny, All,
I've often thought about such a term - "the rarest meteorite."
The rarest meteorite would of course be smallest ungrouped meteorite,
for one could feasibly conceive of a 1-2g unique meteorite. When a
new type is named, however, a hype generally surrounds it - rather
like the olivine diogenite craze of a few years ago, or the confusion
surrounding Bencubbinites, and other poorly defined types of
meteorites.
The simple fact of the matter is that there meteorites are too often
categorized by our current system into associations and groups into
which they fit rather poorly; Jeff Grossman states as much in the last
thread surrounding the poor chemical and isotopic relationships
between many basaltic meteorites deemed "eucrites."
But regardless of this fact, a simple truth remains. There are
countless ungrouped meteorites and several Kakangari-type meteorites,
so while they may be one of the least common "types," they are by no
means examples of the "rarest" meteorite known.
Regards,
Jason