[meteorite-list] YD impacts, agan

From: E.P. Grondine <epgrondine_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:43:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi Darren -

You pretty well summed it up. Firestone's earlier hypothesis have been all over the place.

I know this may sound strange to you, but when you're doing cutting edge research you can make mistakes. Note that responsible researchers disagree with McSween on the number of parent bodies for meteorites.

I suppose that all of this is what happens when a nuclear physicist becomes involved in trying to explain impact data, and having no one to help him. It's really a shame the Dr. Peiser took the Cambridge Conference over to Global Warming Scepticism, otherwise all of this would have been hashed out a long while back.

It's also a shame the Shoemaker died in that auto accident. He was the best the USGS had.

Finally, it's a shame that NASA spent no money studying recent Earth impacts, but instead wasted it on the Ares 1.

The interesting part in all of this is how many new unsuspected impacts are being evidenced by those involved with Firestone. We now have two, one in Alaska, another in Siberia. And the other ice impacts indicated by the orientation of secondary impact craters.

As far as the injection mechanism goes, I'll stay with Clube and Napier for the time being, and forego the supernova hypothesis. Which leaves me with those isotopes to explain...

But the bottom line is that 90 to 95% of the people living in North America died at 10,900 BCE, and those that survived left their descendants memories of what had occurred.

In closing, even I myself have been wrong in the past, and I retain the right to be wrong both now and in the future.

PS - someday impactites from the YD event will come on the market.

E.P. Grondine
Man and Impact in the Americas

Darren wrote:

"Okay, a review-- so far this impactor has been a 500 mile wide snowflake from the atmosphere of a supernova hitting at hundreds of kilometers per second. It has been an airburst over ice leaving no crater. It has left craters deeper than Death Valley in the Great Lakes. It has caused golden showers and a rain of diamonds that lasted for months. It shotgun-blasted iron particles into the tusks of mammoths. It has been a comet. It has been a chondrite, and all meteorites found by or through Nininger have been debris from it, so it was actually all types of chondrite and everything else Nininger collected. Now, it is an extrasolar lunar meteorite from the future.

So, to sum it up, this 500 mile 10 mile very low-density metal and stone filled comet-asteroid supernova-produced lunar snowflake that struck at hundreds of kilometers per second did and didn't produce impact craters and left no marks except for the Great Lakes and thousands of very shallow overlapping, highly oblong pits exactly like craters from an impact event except for craters from an impact event rarely being very shallow, overlapping, highly oblong pits. It killed off all the lost Ice Age fauna at once, except for all of the Ice Age fauna, which went extinct at different times in different locations and spread out over thousands to tens of thousands of years (in some spots pretty darn well timed with the establishment of human populations, coincidence or no.) Oh, and somehow a supernova is still involved.

That isn't refining an idea-- that is throwing everything you can think of
against the wall and hoping that some of it sticks.