[meteorite-list] Meteorites in your Carry-On Luggage

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:38:15 -0500

Hi Kevin and List,

I had an experience in 2005 while returning home from Morocco with a 1.6kg
stone in my carry-on bag. That 'stone' later became known as "NWA 3163", a
new and quite large lunar meteorite. The flight from Morocco to New York was
without problems. It wasn't until I switched planes in the US from New York
to Tampa Bay, FL that I had the small problem. While changing terminals in
New York, I had to go through TSA screening again and they did not like the
large 'rock' I had in my carry-on bag. With much discussion, showing of my
credentials, saying it was a meteorite (I hoped at the time), they let me go
to the gate but advised me that it would be up to the captain of the plane
to decide if he would allow this object within my reach, or if I had to
check it in. I met the captain upon boarding, explained what I had in my
carry-on bag, along with my camera and other fragile items. It was lucky
that this particular captain was interested in minerals and understood my
situation. He was kind enough to take my bag and put it in the cockpit with
him instead of making me check it in to be stored below decks and have the
possibility of being stolen or camera gear being damaged.

So the flight went well, my soon-to-known lunar meteorite flew in the
cockpit with the captain, and I, well, was still stuck back in cattle-class!
:-/

It is pretty much up to the discretion of the TSA agents and the flight crew
as to what 'odd' objects they will allow onboard any flight. Good luck!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection