[meteorite-list] Meteorites in your Carry-On Luggage

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:24:51 -0800 (PST)

Hello Kevin,

? Others on the List will have much more experience and better advice to give you, but here are a couple of my experiences.?

? Inconsistency seems to be the rule of thumb. And, no doubt, 9-11 has changed things. Years ago I flew a 75lb meteorite in a carry on bag with no problems ( just a "weird look" from the security scanner person? ;-)
There was no weight limits on a CARRY ON bag ... just a size limit. ( I guess they figured just how heavy could a carry on that size be??? )

That was BEFORE 9-11. AFTER 9-11, I wasn't even allowed to carry on a single slice from the afore-mentioned meteorite! They told me I "could hit someone over the head with it, or use it to brake out a window in the plane". ( They obviously didn't know the value of that slice! ;-)

? That was flying out of Little Rock, which a few people have told me is one of THE most restrictive airports they've ever seen. I was on my way to Tucson. When I flew out from Tucson on my return flight, I had NO problem what-so-ever in taking it aboard. So, it appears that it varies from airport to airport, as my opening sentence stated above. Over all, I'd say you would probably be in for a hassle. But good luck.

? Best wishes,
? Robert Woolard?