[meteorite-list] [Clarify] Meteorite Self-Pairing = No-No!

From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:03:39 -0500

Dear List Members,

To clarify and/or add to my previous post "Self-Pairing = No-No!":

Where I wrote,
"It seems once I do announce a new meteorite, "guaranteed pairings" start to
be offered by different Moroccan stone traders."

I am NOT referring to my new lunar, NWA 4932 which I just announced this
week. Nobody has self-paired to that one [yet]. If there were any more of
it, suspect stones would have surfaced before now.

This actually brings up another example, when NWA 482 first came out, it
seemed that ALL of the Moroccans had more of 482, all were proved wrong and
was just wishful thinking on the part of get-rich quick stone traders. There
are NO pairings to NWA 482!

This was also the case when NWA 5000 was announced a couple years ago. It
again seemed that all of the Moroccan stone traders had MORE of it. In fact,
at the Tucson Show a couple years ago, certain disruptive stone traders
claimed to have a 17-kilo pairing to it. They knew that that 17-kilo stone
was a EUCRITE because months before I paid to have a sample analyzed from
that stone! Again, they did not care and wanted to sucker an unsuspecting
victim in. I can say that the 17-kilo eucrite now resides in a prominent
public collection because of the efforts of an honest and generous Canadian
collector!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe