[meteorite-list] Daule Ecuador Fall Recovered

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 18:09:02 EST

Welcome to the MetList Jose.

I am sorry you are disappointed by the way the first meteorite of Ecuador
was recovered. But look at it this way: one mass is staying in Ecuador,
hopefully it will soon be on display in a Museum. And there is still one mass
waiting to be recovered, maybe you will be the one to find it, and then you
could be in a position to accomplish something few have done: improve the laws
in one country.

Just think about this. This is certainly not the only meteorite to have
ever fallen in Ecuador, there must be many more, but no one has ever thought of
looking for them, and if the police keeps on confiscating any new
discovery, there will be no incentive for anyone to look for them. But since you are
educated and know what meteorites are, what they mean to sciences, maybe you
could be the one who could explain to people in power, maybe a Museum of
Natural History in Quito.that there is a much better way to address the
problem. For instance, you could suggest that the Museum makes a deal with people
who find meteorites, the finder keeps half and the Museum gets half. I know
some finders want to keep all but that is a selfish attitude.

Obviously we don't know if the Museum would accept that deal, but you will
not know until you ask. Maybe they will say no, but if you can convince
them, you will set a great example for many other countries to follow.

Best of luck to you.

Anne M. Black
_http://www.impactika.com/_ (http://www.impactika.com/)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
_http://www.imca.cc/_ (http://www.imca.cc/)

In a message dated 11/4/2009 10:38:21 PM Mountain Standard Time,