[meteorite-list] Farewell Richard

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:42:10 -0700

My fellow mourners,

Today was indeed a sad day.

I had the great fortune to meet Richard and Dorothy on each of my
Tucson Gem/Meteorite/Fossil show trips, and like everyone else here
I am immensely saddened to learn of Richard's passing. His popular
_Rocks From Space_ book, first published in '94, was my greatest
inspiration, and I'm thankful that I had the opportunity to not only
tell him so in person, but share with him the meager space rock
discoveries that his book spurred me to find.

My personal impressions of Richard based on our all-too-brief
conversations are that he was a gentle soul with a Bob-Newhart-
style sense of humor which I quite enjoyed. A modern Renaissance
man, Richard had interests in physics, optics, astronomy, photography,
geology and even classical piano. In fact only today did I learn we
shared a love of playing Chopin's music.

On a lighter note, I have to agree with Capt. Blood that Richard
presented more than a passing resemblance to Hugh Hefner (minus
the satin robe, pipe and slippers!) I shall have to work on a
side-by-side pair of photographs with a suitable caption. :-)

My deepest sympathies, Dorothy -- your husband touched so many
lives, and our extended family here will miss him dearly.

With fond memories and deepest respect,
Rob