[meteorite-list] Richard Norton

From: Larry & Twink Monrad <larrytwinkmonrad_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 19:36:20 -0700

Dear Dorothy,

Larry and I are so sorry to hear the sad news about Richard. Both of you
must have known how much we enjoyed our many times together in Tucson.

One of the amazing things about Richard was his way of writing things that
gave such feeling to the readers. Two things have always remained in my
mind and I wish to share them with others.

First of all, I consider myself, Larry, Jim Kriegh and our son Chris and
daughter-in-law Bridget to be so very fortunate to have experienced this:
We and the Nortons were gathered at our house after dinner and of course
Richard was carrying on a lively discussion about meteorites. At one point
he asked that the lights be dimmed and he wanted to see my copy of Rocks
from Space. He turned to the Epilogue and began reading out loud from his
book:

In late 1984, I gave a small iron meteorite to astronaut Dick Scobee in
commemoration of his visit to the University of Arizona, where he had
graduated in engineering. Scobee was scheduled to command the space shuttle
early the next year. I suggested, half in jest, that he return the meteorite
to its home in space on his next voyage. In a way, it would be a historic
event - a meteorite returning to space! A few weeks later a letter arrived
from Scobee. He thanked me for the meteorite, calling it a "nice little
treasure" and assured me that he would, indeed, return it "at least
temporarily to the environment from which it came." On January 28, 1986,
the meteorite began its historic return journey but never made it home. Nor
did the crew of seven. Their ship was the Challenger.

I still get chills when I read this passage and remember Richard reading it
to us.

Another thing that he wrote which shows his deep thinking and good
imagination is from his article in Meteorite magazine May 2001 on the Tucson
Show.

Thank you, Tucson. Thank you, dealers. Thank you, collectors. Together you
pulled off a memorable show. As I watched all of you enjoying yourselves
at Jim Kriegh's "meteorite" party, my thoughts returned briefly to 1969 and
the launch of Apollo 11. I was surrounded by hundreds of reporters and
delegates from around the world gathered to witness the historic event.
Friend and foe alike intermingled, all with a common goal, to emotionally
push the Saturn into the sky. Old rivalries faded into insignificance. In
that brief moment the world was united as one. Was there not a parallel
here, all of us with a passion for rocks from space?

I think Richard would forgive me for copyright infringements so that those
who do not own both publications might understand how meaningful his simple
words were to those of us who read them.

Watching Richard work side by side with Dorothy who helped him with his
books and did such fabulous illustrations for all sorts of publications was
a pleasure.

I too was fortunate to be able to hunt with Richard along with Jim Kriegh
and John Blennert at Gold Basin. A short funny story, Richard set up a
telescope one evening at Gold Basin to photograph something special
happening in the heavens that night. At 2:30 AM he with great resignation
put away all of his equipment asking us why we had not in advance informed
him that the airliners flying into and out of Las Vegas every twenty minutes
never quit, that they were interfering with his light or other conditions!

Twink Monrad