[meteorite-list] Richard O. "Doc" Norton

From: Jack Schrader <schraderj_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:50:00 -0700 (PDT)

It was with profound sadness that I today learned of the passing of a friend and one of the meteorite world's truly great personalities, Richard O. Norton.? I first met Richard "Doc" Norton on a very cold but sunny morning in Gold Basin.? I think the year was 1997.? Twink and Jim were there as well as John Blennert and my son Devin and we were all standing around shivering in the cold morning air?talking and?shifting around trying to catch the first early rays of sunshine and a little warmth when the back of a station wagon with Oregon plates popped open and Richard slowly emerged from his sleeping bag like a bear coming out of hibernation.?Hands in his coat pockets, he had a huge smile on his face and he could not have been happier that morning than to have a full day of nothing else to do before him but hunt for meteorites.?He was full of enthusiasm and optimistic that he "was going to find a meteorite" that very day.? His enthusiasm was
 contagious and he never uttered a discouraging word and kept the rest of us going and excited.? I am proud to say that I hunted meteorites with Richard that day and I was there when he found his 175 gram Gold Basin stone.? I will always carry this favorite and fond memory of Richard with me wherever I go.?

There are no words which can ever hope to alleviate the deep feelings of grief and loss that the family is now experiencing and?I wish to convey my deepest sympathy to Dorothy and the family on this very sad occasion and may God Bless and strengthen each and every one of you..???

From Devin and Jack Schrader