[meteorite-list] Richard Norton, one of Meteoritics Best Friends

From: MeteorHntr at aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:32:26 EDT

I am shocked and saddened on hearing the news of Richard Norton's passing.

We, in our small community, were so blessed to have Richard as one of our
standard bearers during the last couple of decades. His contribution
cannot be measured.

A memory that pops into my mind just now is of a meeting with Richard and
Dorothy over lunch in Tucson, one year. Richard wanted to see what I had in
the way of thin sections when I pulled out 6 Kapoeta thin sections I had
from the King Collection.

He was beside himself as he was on a budget and yet he wanted to buy more
than just one of them. He held one of them up and referring to specimen
being a Howardite, and said almost in amazement "This one slide holds a
complete rock collection on it!"

As I recall, he settled on buying 3 of the them. Normally I leave after
making a sale to someone glad that I made some money. But I left that day
with the pride swelling in my heart that I could bring something special to
Richard, with all his experience and expertise, that he genuinely
appreciated.

His smile beaming out from under his eye loop, while examinating a new
meteorite someone just handed to him (whether at Jim and Twink's party, or in
the corner at one of Blood's Auctions, or at one of the many dealer's rooms
in Tucson) will be the image I will forever hold in my mind of him.

His passion for meteorites will forever be with us in his writings. His
passion for meteorite fanatics will forever be with us in our memories.

To Dorothy, I offer you my sincere condolences and my genuine thanks to
you for sharing Richard with all of us.

Steve Arnold

**************We found the real ?Hotel California? and the ?Seinfeld?
(http://www.whereitsat.com/?ncid=emlwenew00000004)