[meteorite-list] NEW Ocate, NM Iron Classification & Specimens - AD

From: wahlperry at aol.com <wahlperry_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:27:17 -0400

Hi Greg,

Congratulations on your new meteorite!

Sonny

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Hupe <gmhupe at htn.net>
To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Sent: Tue, 26 May 2009 3:18 pm
Subject: [meteorite-list] NEW Ocate, NM Iron Classification & Specimens
- AD

Dear List Members,?
?
I would like to announce a newly-approved iron meteorite found in New
Mexico in 1986 and has just been approved. It is a IAB-MG (Main Group),
coarse ochtahedrite and is named "Ocate" after the nearest town to
where it was found. It will be in the online database soon and will be
published in MB96 (Sept, issue MaPS). It wasn't until 2008 that they
finder approached me with the single 6.4kg stone that the
classification process began. I went to the find site last fall with
the person who found it to take GPS coordinates, photograph the area
and to hunt for more if there were any to be found. We didn't have much
time to hunt at that time so we did not find any others.?
?
Here are a couple of links to give you an idea of how nice Ocate is
(see all available specimens below classification below). This was cut
and prepared by one of the best meteorite craftsman in the business!?
?
Polished and etched face of a 314g complete slice:?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00002.jpg?
Ocate, New Mexico sign:?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/OcateSign.jpg?
The find site of the 6.4kg Oca
te iron:?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/findsite.jpg?
?
Getting to the find site is treacherous and a 4-wheel drive vehicle
with high clearance is required! It took us about three hours after
leaving the paved road to get to the site up the mountain on a road
that was more like a crater-ridden trail with large boulders in most
places and swampy mud in others. To successfully hunt the site would
require camping for a week, there is no way to drive up and down the
mountain each day and get enough hunting hours in to make it
worthwhile. There are also lots of elk hunters during hunting season so
anyone who wants to give it a go, be careful!?
?
Submitted and approved classification for "Ocate":?
Ocate 36? 17.72' N, 105? 2.90' W?
?
Mora County, New Mexico?
?
Find: 1986?
?
Iron (IAB-MG), coarse octahedrite?
?
?
History: This single 6.4kg mass was found by a local New Mexico hunter
in 1986. Knowing it was different from the surrounding rocks and had an
odd appearance (the face of a bear), the hunter took it home and set it
aside with an odd assortment of 'collectibles' while hunting and
mountaineering over decades in the New Mexico area. The owner contacted
G. Hupe in May 2008 for verification of the find, which was confirmed
by study of the type sample at the University of Alberta.?
?
Physical characteristics: A single stone w
eighing 6402 grams with
virtually no apparent fusion crust, yet also lacking progressed
terrestrial alteration, which contributes towards its dark brown
metallic appearance with well defined regmaglypts.?
?
Petrography: (C. Herd, N. Bruemmer, UAb) A 5 x 7 cm polished and etched
slab reveals Widmanst?tten pattern with an average bandwidth of 1.4 ?
0.2 mm, few areas of plessite, and numerous inclusions. A 1 cm
ellipsoidal graphite nodule and several smaller inclusions of graphite,
troilite and schreibersite are associated with polygonal kamacite on
one portion of the slab. Smaller, mm-scale elongate inclusions of
troilite are oriented parallel to kamacite lamellae where the
Widmanst?tten is better developed. Terrestrial oxides decorate
fractures within a few mm of the exterior surface.?
?
Geochemistry: Bulk Composition: INAA data (J. Duke, UAb): Ni = 6.99 ?
0.05 wt%, Co = 0.466 ? 0.004 wt%, Ga = 71.9 ? 0.3 ?g/g, Ge = 271 ? 6
?g/g, Ir = 2.25 ? 0.04 ?g/g, Au = 1.60 ? 0.03 ?g/g, As = 15.2 ? 0.3
?g/g, Cu = 119 ? 11 ?g/g, W = 0.87 ? 0.08 ?g/g, Re = 0.22 ? 0.02 ?g/g
(uncertainties 1s, 68% confidence level).?
?
Classification: Iron meteorite, IAB main group, coarse octahedrite,
minimal shock, minimal weathering.?
?
Type specimens: 97.58 g slab and a 3.2 g interior piece, UAb, main
mass, G. Hupe.?0D
?
?
I have only 12 specimens out of 15 that are available, here is the list
which also shows the thickness of each piece:?
?
Ocate, New Mexico IAB-MG iron meteorite?
910g end cut?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/nm910a.jpg?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/nm910b.jpg?
?
322.6g cs 4mm thick?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00001.jpg?
?
314g cs 4mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00002.jpg?
?
211.6g cs 3.5mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00003.jpg?
?
208.2g cs 4mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00004.jpg?
?
191g cs 4mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00005.jpg?
?
168.6g cs 2.5mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00006.jpg?
?
163.8g cs 2.5mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00007.jpg?
?
162.9g ps 6.5mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00008.jpg?
?
162.8g cs 3.5mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00009.jpg?
?
130g ps 5-7mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00010.jpg?
?
4.5g ps (unpolished) 5mm?
http://www.lunarrock.com/ocate/specimens/dsc00011.jpg?
cs - complete slice?
ps - part slice?
?
I am asking just $4.00/g plus shipping, so if you are interested,
please contact me Off-List. Thank you!?
?
In addition to these beautiful Ocate specimens, I have another batch of
eBay auctions ending tomorrow (Wednesday, May 27th).
Many are still at
just 99 cents, so more excellent deals will be had this week by bidding
with me, NaturesVault. Click here for my current eBay auctions:
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnaturesvault?
?
Best regards,?
Greg?