[meteorite-list] Question about cutting stones on a small saw

From: edeckert at triad.rr.com <edeckert_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:38:52 -0400

Hi Don,

You have a nice trim saw. I had responded directly to Mike about his, but
I missed seeing that link to a picture of his saw. Actually, that is not a
tile saw like you see at Harbor Freight or Home Depot, although it could be
used as one. It is a lapidary trim saw. The saw table should pivot back
or come off completely to reveal a tank that holds the coolant. Pretty
standard for small lapidary trim saws. And lots of them have exposed
motors.

As long as you are not using the saw in a wet environment and the saw has a
3 prong plug, and the electric outlet is properly grounded, he should be
OK. Although, using a GFCI outlet is always a good idea when cutting with
an electrically powered saw where liquid coolant is used - or if using it
in a damp area.

It should work fine for meteorites as long as the clamp vise is used. I
assume Mike got the one that attaches to the table and moves the clamp/vise
parralel to the blade. That will result in nicer slices.

And Mike - yes, steer clear of alcohol as a coolant. Some folks use it all
of the time and swear by it - others swear at it. I wonder though if 70%
Isopropyl Alcohol (Rubbing Alcohol) is better than using just distilled
water? I know of someone who was given Rubbing Alcohol to use as fuel in
an alcohol lamp. He could not keep the lamp lit. So that may be a lot
safer than pure alcohol. Just a thought. You still need to get the wet
sliced meteorite dry to prevent oxidation.

Best!

Ed Deckert