[meteorite-list] Tunguska Questions

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 23:21:19 -0700

I agree... If the Tunguska event was caused by a comet and not a
meteoroid or asteroid there truly may not be any material left from the
blast. However, if I remember correctly, the cometary theory is based
not just on the fact no meteorites were found near the epicenter, but
somewhat on the presence of high levels of carbon in the samples taken
from peat and tree bark drill core samples near the epicenter. A
carbonaceous meteoroid/asteroid could have left those same levels of carbon.