[meteorite-list] Solar meteorite

From: STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com <STARSANDSCOPES_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:54:34 EDT

Since working on the NWA 5000 thin section over a year ago I have worked
with quite a number of lunar slides. I have always been primarily interested
in the glass. My most recent effort is NWA 4483 Lunar feldspathic granulitic
imapactite. It has a lot of glass. It is nearly 85% isotropic glass,
(rough estimate). Norbrt Classen and I plan on an up coming article for
Meteorite Times on it.

My point is none of the lunar glass I have examined has well defined solar
wind vesicles like NWA 5000. When sharing micrographs or just "talking
meteorites," I am surprised at how few people are aware of this unique feature
in NWA 5000.

It's taken me looking at the lunar glass of many samples to give me an
appreciation of just how cool NWA 5000 really is. It the closest thing to
owning a "Solar Meteorite". Real trapped solar wind in little bubbles!!!

If you are interested in checking out the solar wind vesicle photos please
go to Meteorite Times back issues and select august 2008, then go to Micro
Visions in the menu on the left.

http://www.meteorite-times.com/back_issues.htm

I have no NWA 5000 material for sale so I am not promoting anything, just
sharing a cool observation and wondering if there are any other Lunar
meteorites with this same phenomenon.

Tom Phillips
**************Recession-proof vacation ideas. Find free things to do in
the U.S.