[meteorite-list] "Supergiant" Asteroid Impact

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 13:01:28 -0700

Article about a supergiant asteroid shutting down Mars's magnetic field.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090511-mars-asteroid.html

This raises the question that seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
What would such an impact do to Earth? Would we be wiped out by the
impact, severe weather, nuclear winter, earthquakes, tsunamis or by the
atmosphere withering away by the solar winds? Or would humans be able to
survive underground in manufactured ecosystems capable of supporting life?

What if a supergiant asteroid slammed our planet tomorrow? Who would be
sequestered away deep in the safe rooms underground?

The question is not whether we are prepared -as we are not- the question
is simply when will we find a solution to this obvious hazard. We're
finding more asteroids all the time. It's becoming more mainstream, and
public awareness is growing. Eventually we will find one that is on a
collision course with Earth.

When taking into account the increased awareness, advances in
technology, and population increasing over time, I would predict a major
discovery in less than 5 years. Now, this is not to say that an asteroid
will hit in 5 years, but at the rate of the increase of awareness the
likelihood that an amateur astronomer or asteroid hunter will find
something increases exponentially over time. Not to mention NASA's NEO
Project and other governmental and educational asteroid hunting programs.

We've all heard the phrase "It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of
when." when describing the likelihood of an asteroid impacting Earth.
Well I would say you have to believe that this increase in knowledge and
discovery is directly related to the increase in technological
advancement coupled with a population increase. As we are able to see
more we will learn more faster.

--
Regards,
Eric Wichman