[meteorite-list] Anyone remember this?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 10:31:02 -0700

Right, but one has to understand that experts are trained to deal with
thin sections and polarizing microscopes. What we do as hunters,
dealers, and collectors is a much more laid-back, truly unscientific
way of dealing with space rocks.
Of course, that's not to say that we're not right most of the time,
but it's a different kind of right. The initial video that came out
weren't good enough to say either way (both Darren and myself, as well
as other prominent list members noted the possibility of it being a
meteorite at the time), but better pictures were posted a short while
later which promptly changed my mind, as well as those of other list
members.

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg52768.html

When I saw those pictures, I repeatedly posted that it wasn't a space rock:

http://www.mail-archive.com/meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com/msg51575.html

Furthermore, I'm not surprised that more intensive studies weren't
conducted on the piece of metal; once it was determined to be
terrestrial, it hardly seems relevant as to where it came from - or
would you like to cover the bill for a neutron activation?
I agree that it would be interesting to see where it came from, but
you're probably looking at another metallic part from a wood-chipper,
or something along those lines. Why spend hundreds or thousands of
dollars to find out where it came from? I guess if you have the money
to blow on it, by all means, go for it, but I'm of the understanding
that most universities would consider the money better spent
elsewhere.
And I may not have a degree yet, but I'm currently working towards
astrophysics over here.
Regards,
Jason