[meteorite-list] Recovered (US) falls

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 16:27:22 -0700

Mike,
That sounds like a lofty goal! Once back in around 1990ish.? there was a huge fireball that was seen by dozens from Tucson. it fell north from our view and from viewers in Phoenix it was seen to fall south. In casa Grande which is between Tucson and Phoenix it was seen to fall slightly west. This thing was pin pointed from three directions. David Kring put together a recovery team and they went out to get it. They never did find it. Someday someone is going to find a meteorite in the general vicinity and they will be able to claim it was a witnessed fall. But, It has been years so I fail to see the significance of a fall vs a find. Unless it is such rare material that it becomes the name sake for the type I really could not care less wether a fall or a find. And how will they even know without just guessing that that is the one they all saw anyway. How do they ever know with certainty? . I don't think they got a licence plate number while it fell. To me it makes no difference where it was found either. I
 collect based on Rarity and or scientific importance only. But I'm glad some people collect only falls because I sell Carancas. A true fall by any definition. Plus it has all of the other bells and whistles too. Take care.
Carl Esparza
IMCA 5829