[meteorite-list] 'Chevrons' Are Not Evidence Of Megatsunamis

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 16:40:49 -0500

E.P., Paul, List,

First, geology has a proof for everything, no
matter how contradictory. Bortz and the
Scablands, Wegener and Drift, "Strata"
Smith and, well, strata. Takes a lifetime
(literally) for truth to out. Not to mention
how long it took for the existence of impacts
to be accepted (50-60 years) by geologists.
We still though the Moon was all volcanic
surface features right up to the moment
we got there. Duh.

Second, rationization and models are not
enough. That's why Reality has to count.

Simple test. "Chevrons" have to be aligned
(within some margin of error) with a crater
or impact site in water or other event like
massive mass-slip. Accumulate evidence of
both. Assume margin of error of ten degrees
in alignment (or pick your own figure). If
you find 36 candidate chevrons and only
one aligns with an impact or other causitive
site, then the two are absolutely not connected.

Of course, it's not that easy. Not all craters
get found, not all tidal waves have a crater but
another cause (seismic, mass-slip), but if more
than 4 to 7 are aligned, the odds are many
(most, some, you pick) chverons are indicators
of such events.

Takes a long time and the accumulation of lots
of evidence, more than we have now, probably.
Time (but not geologic time) will tell.

Sterling K. Webb