[meteorite-list] Fireballs From The Sky: Bombarded

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:32:33 -0700

Doesn't one large asteroid (miles across) have multiple types of
meteoritic material? Iron at the core, silicate and iron mix surrounding
that, chondritic material, and achondritic nearer the surface of an
asteroid. Or am I watching too many meteorite videos? ;)

If accretion is correct and iron migrates to the center of a large body,
then it would make sense that lighter less dense materials would
surround that. When two asteroids impact wouldn't they cause all these
types to intermingle and spray out in all directions? In addition they
create impact melts and breccias as well. What about carbonaceuous
chondrites?

If two large asteroids crashed into one another some million years or so
ago wouldn't there be huge numbers of all different types of material
thrown out into all directions? Couldn't there be multiple falls
consisting of different types of meteorites but originating from the
same event in space? I realize I may be missing some important facts
here but if large asteroids do in fact consist of all meteoritic
composition types, couldn't you argue that some or all of these falls
may come from one event? I know this question might have a few people
yelling at me that I don't know what I'm talking about. You're right!
That's why I'm asking... ;)

Regards,
Eric