[meteorite-list] Excessively Large Reward a bad precedent.

From: Rob Wesel <rob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:01:21 -0700

Inflated field prices

Landowners refusing to allow their property hunt

Risk to all hunters safety from mugging or perceived attempts to con the
public

Flooding the area with every kid on spring break who doesn't consider the
care needed to maintain a good relationship with landowners.

Imagine the tension you would feel of all of a sudden garden gnomes were as
rare as meteorites and hundreds of people show up in your neighborhood
because a garden gnome from your area sold for $20K. Would you feel safe?
Would you want to work with gnome hunters? I am always amazed at how kind
landowners are but if you chum the water it ain't gonna happen. Huge amounts
do get paid in the field but it needs to be done in private.

This type of action gets one twenty thousand dollar piece safely out of the
strewnfield...maybe.

I met a man in Park Forest at the peak of sales (~$20-30/g in the retail
world not the field ) who had a 1kg stone. He was carrying it like a baby
chicken "How much would you give me for this". I replied that I only had
about $5k to offer for it. "I've had guys offer me $35K and said no" as he
retracted the stone. I tried to tell him to forget about me then and take
the higher offer, to bring it to Applebee's where all the hunters met at
night and see what he could make of it. He never showed up. I often wonder
what he ever got, or perhaps never got for it because the TV, newspapers and
planetarium were telling him it was worth so much. Now we have the hunters
saying the same thing......

Very bull in a china shop this is, myopic

Rob Wesel
http://www.nakhladogmeteorites.com