[meteorite-list] Fusion Crusted "Meteoroids"

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:09:20 -0600

>> There are not many potential crust forming bodies- a few dozen at most.
> TO ME A FEW SOUNDS LIKE A GUESS!

The number of Solar System bodies with atmospheres (which is what you need
in order for a grazing meteoroid to form a fusion crust) is well known- a
few planets and moons. This is not a guess.

> ARE YOU AWARE WE HAVE METEORITES THAT WE THINK MIGHT BE FROM PLANETS AS
> WELL. MAYBE WE WILL EVEN BE ABLE SOME DAY TO FIND THEN FROM OTHER PLANETS.
> DO YOU NOT AGREE WITH THE PLANETARY VARIETY?

These are a tiny fraction of all meteoritic material. When I talk about
meteoroids coming from two populations, that doesn't exclude a tiny
percentage of objects from other sources (maybe even interstellar). But
there's really very little doubt that the two populations I discussed
constitute the vast majority of meteoroids.

> IT IS A FACT THAT WE HAVE YET TO RECOGNIZE MATERIAL FROM COMETS ON EARTH
> BUT MANY PEOPLE SUSPECT THAT SOMEDAY WE WILL. OTHERS BELIEVE THAT CI1'S
> MAY BE COMETARY. AND THEY ARE VERY OLD INDEED AS OLD AS THE REST.

I'd be very surprised if some cometary material hasn't survived to the
ground. But the fact that we can't tie any material to known shower
fireballs (which vastly outnumber sporadic fireballs) just demonstrates my
point, that cometary material is very unlikely to survive an encounter with
the Earth's atmosphere.

>>IS THAT WHY WE GOT JUST HOURS NOTICE ABOUT A NEAR MISS JUST THE OTHER DAY?
>>IT SEEMS WE DON'T KNOW AS MUCH AS YOU THINK BASED ON TOO MANY NEAR MISSES.

We understand such bodies just fine. Obviously, we can't predict when any
particular one will pass near us until it has actually been observed. But we
do know a lot about the statistics of such bodies in general.

> GUESSING IS STILL GUESSING. GUESSES ARE PROVEN WRONG EVERY DAY. LOOK AT
> CARANCAS, THE DRY MOON, NOT. LOOK AT ALL OF THE MATERIAL THAT HAS HAD TO
> BE RE-CLASSIFIED. TOO MUCH GUESSING AND NOT ENOUGH GOOD SCIENCE.

What guesses? It sounds to me like you don't understand the difference
between a guess and a testable hypothesis. There's no need to guess about
how many bodies in space have fusion crusts- that is a figure that can be
reasonably estimated based on solid theory and observational evidence. When
early hypotheses are changed because of new evidence, that is a
demonstration of GOOD SCIENCE!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory