[meteorite-list] Fusion Crusted "Meteoroids"

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:15:14 -0600

The variation in fireball rate with time of year and geographical position
is well described. Recent observational data is not dependent on direct
human observations, but can be accurately quantified from instrumental data.
For instance, I have years worth of nightly allsky records covering
Colorado, and can produce very accurate information about meteor frequency
and brightness. This is easily extrapolated to full Earth coverage. And
there is similar instrumental data from around the world. Actual meteor
rates are very similar over the entire Earth, with only a very slight
variation associated with latitude (after allowing for meteors associated
with showers, which are not completely uniform).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com