[meteorite-list] Fusion Crusted "Meteoroids"

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:52:17 -0700

Anyone remember this one? ;)

THE GREAT DAYLIGHT FIREBALL OF 1972

This grazing of our atmosphere would cause fusion crust. This means that
the Great Fireball is a meteoroid with fusion crust.

Over Jackson Wyoming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It5EztnIdHc
Over Canada: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaxagBP0IoY
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090302.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Daylight_1972_Fireball
Earth Grazing Asteroids (PDF):
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc1994/pdf/1142.pdf

Fusion Crusted Meteoroids.

The video shows a great example of it and science knows that this
happens. How often it happens and how many are there is the question? If
this happens once every 10,000 years (hypothetical) then that would mean
there may be hundreds of thousands if not millions of them out there.

---------------------------
1 Every 10,000 years
100 Every 1 Million years
1000 Every 10 Million Years
10,000 Every 1 Hundred Million Years
100,000 Every 1 Billion Years
---------------------------

That's if you count just Earth. There are 7 other planets out there not
counting Pluto. Keeping in mind the likelyhood of a meteoroid crossing
the orbit of a planet at a shallow enough angle, are Neptune's, Uranus'
and Saturn's, Jupiter's, Mars', Venus', and Mercury's atomospheres thick
enough to bounce a meteoroid off of and create fusion crust? And if so
could we safely say that there's hundreds of thousands if not millions
of fusion crusted meteoroids and asteroids out there floating around? I
would venture to "guess" that it might happen a bit more than once every
10,000 years. The odds are good that it happens far more often. Think
about it for a second. What's the likelyhood that it would be caught on
tape if it happened only once every ten thousand years? We see daylight
fireballs many times per year, how many of those are Earth-Grazing
meteoroids or asteroids and never burn up completely?

Can we agree that 70% of the meteorites that actually strike Earth land
in the oceans since water covers 70% of the planet. Furthermore, since
we only occupy a small percentage of available land mass then that
leaves a HUGE amount of land that is either uninhabited or inhabited by
native peoples that have no contact with the outside world. Meaning that
any meteor fireball that passes over or impacts in these areas are NOT
ever reported. I know we can make educated guesses about how many times
this might happen based on observations from many points on our planet
that we actually occupy.

Isn't there hard data out there on these types of actual Earth-Grazing
meteoroids and asteroids? The ones that actually enter our atmosphere
and then leave to go flying back out into our solar system. Based on
that data couldn't you make "an educated guess"? Can't we take data from
these events and figure the time between them and estimate a number,
then divide that number into say 4.5 billion years? (If you figure the
Earth and solar system is that old, which by the way is a guess too,
albeit an educated one) I'm sure there will be people to argue this
point to the end of time.

Still think there aren't many fusion crusted meteoroids out there?