[meteorite-list] Fusion Crusted "Meteoroids"

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:54:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Eric:

A quick response to this:

1. Black, yes. Many asteroids are dark (reflect less than 10% of the light
that reaches them). This may be due to shock (black chondrites) or due to
the presence of carbon as in the carbonaceous chondrites (or comets for
that matter).

2. However, to the best of my knowledge, fusion crust happens when the
meteoroid passes through the Earth's atmosphere and so would not exist
prior to reaching the vicinity of the Earth. I do not think that you would
bet fusion crust on anything leaving the atmosphere of Mars, since I think
it is assumed that the impact punches a hole in the atmosphere through
which the eventual meteorite passes.

Larry