[meteorite-list] Carancas Bull

From: Bob Loeffler <bobl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:18:58 -0600

Hi Walter, Darryl, et al,

> Keep it simple. Did the meteorite itself actually hit something?

This is exactly the point (and question) that I was trying to make. For it
to be called a hammer, does the meteorite itself have to physically strike a
human, animal or human artifact? In my opinion, it does have to. If the
meteorite hits the ground and creates a crater/pit and a chunk of
terrestrial rock flies up and hits a person on the head, I don't consider
that a hammer. If a person gets knocked down from a meteorite's shock wave
(that resonates through the air or ground), that is not a hammer, in my
opinion. I think the damage (major or minor) must be created DIRECTLY by
the meteorite, not indirectly (i.e. air pressure, ground tremors, flying
terrestrial material, etc).

The discussion above is for general clarification of hammers. As for
Carancas, if it hit a man-made spring/watering hole, then it is a hammer. I
didn't know about the spring, so I previously thought that it was only
classified as a hammer because of it killing one or more animals, or
knocking a guy off his feet, or something hitting the metal roof of that
building. None of those have been proven to be directly caused by the
meteorite itself, as far as I have read, so that's why I wasn't sure if
Carancas was a hammer.

Regards,

Bob