[meteorite-list] Artificial Lunar Meteorites?

From: Rob McCafferty <rob_mccafferty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:05:43 -0700 (PDT)

In response.

Yes you could do that though I don't think it'd be of any scientific significance to do so.

The initial impulse required to eject rocks with enough speed to get to earth may produce some shock effects in the rock. You may prefer to use rockets if you wanted pristine rocks so that the momentum is applied over a greater period rather than all at once.

You'd need a good aim. Hitting the atmosphere at an angle where the atmospheric deceleration doesn't vapourise the rock would be key. Once you get past the lagrange point, the earth would capture the rock (Lagrange point is where lunar and terrestrial gravity balance). That's all the return motor on the Apollo command module did, get it past that point.
>From there it took about 3 days and you're falling all the way. You're going pretty quick by the time you hit the atmosphere by then. Apollo had to skip across the surface of the atmosphere a few times to lose speed. They had the fortune of manaouvering jets to get in line to hit the earth just right with mid course corrections. A projectile wouldn't have that.

Would it be a meteorite? I would suggest it would be. It came from out there and if it makes it to the surface, it's a meteorite.
I'd probably call it an "anthropogenic meteorite", one caused by the activities of man (just like "anthropogenic carbon dioxide". There are plenty of natural CO2 sources as well). The meteorites in our collections are currently "natural meteorites".

The classification is just a name that tells us the origin. As an example, the lunar surface contains "Ferroan Anorthosite" which is anorthosite with iron embedded in it. I have several kilos of "Archaen anorthosite" next to my back door. It's terrestrial and comes from the Archaen geological period of earth. The labels do not effect the chemistry of the rocks but they do help identify where they came from. The formal classification and distinguishing of one from another may require sophisticated techniques but they are there to pinpoint them to a time, place and history.

Rob McC