[meteorite-list] Carancas: Arsenic smell ?

From: Dave Gheesling <dave_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:34:37 -0400

Darren/All,

The thinner atmosphere on Mars -- and the lower minimum atmospheric entry
velocity due to its gravity -- should only mean that the modeling to produce
surviving meteorites that look "just like they look on Earth" would be
different for Mars re: entry velocities and angles, etc. Presumably this
data already exists, and if anyone has seen it please pass it along...

I believe fusion crust is created not only by the heat of atmospheric
friction but also by the heat generated through high pressures, the latter
generated by a column of molecules simply not having the time to "get out of
the way" being rapidly compressed rather than smoothly displaced.
Regardless, ablation is indeed a fact. Meteorites don't enter our
atmosphere attached to spheres, and presumably that artificial contraption
may have made for a different-than-typical result.

Think horse, not zebra, and think Occam's Razor. There is no doubt much
left to be learned, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
An open mind is essential, but I'm not sure a predisposition to assume the
utterly remarkable is called for here just yet. I would also like to hear
from potential resources who might be holding off on the publication of
something fascinating; if memory serves, it was essentially the lack of
agreement on the "impact structure" in Peru that led to the digging in of
heels on opposing sides, but I was unaware that uncovered anomalies may not
yet have been published and would very much like to learn more...

All best,

Dave
www.fallingrocks.com